Monday, October 5, 2009

Waiting in the Cold.

Have you ever had one of those phone calls that last so long not only have you had to change ears, but you actually change to speaker for a portion of the call because both ears are now sore?

I have had plenty in my life... but only few have ever made me really re evaluate things as much as one I had the other day.

A friend of mine, who suffered a loss far greater then my own called to check in.

The call was filled with tears and laughter.... but mostly it was filled with a profound connection that I never would have expected.

To raise a child alone is an experience like no other.
The only people that ever really understand are the ones that actually do it on a daily basis.

It's those people that I can laugh with about the strange yet amazing parts of single parenthood....

There is something to be said for restraining your child in a headlock in her highchair after she has shoved a french fry up her nose.. and pulling the part that is logged so far up her nose you can barely see it...... out with a pair of tweezers.

Those are the times when i miss someone walking in the door at 5 to ask me how the day was....
because that is not the kind of story anyone wants to hear, but a parent.

We discussed those moments when random strangers ask if our daughters look like there mothers/fathers.... or what it's like when your child is calling other people mama or dada.

Believe me, you can't make shit like this up.
I have cried in the checkout line at walmart, after someone asked my little girl where her daddy was.


The other thing we talked a lot about was love.

The way my friend talked about losing the love of a lifetime was heartbreaking.

The pain I could feel coming from the other end of the phone was so familiar.

The pain I felt knowing that I have never been loved like that was a deep blow that I never would have expected.

It hurts to know that I haven't had that in my life yet, and it may never happen for me.

Ever.

The pain I feel is like a cut that's healing....
some days I barely feel it...
and other days I feel like someone just poured salt over it.


I don't know when this goes away completely or if it ever will.