Wednesday, May 20, 2009

When it hits to close to home.

I don't think any of us out there are ever prepared for those dreaded phone calls from a friend tell us bad news.
I got a call on Monday from one of my favorite people on the planet. He has been a friend for a long time, someone that has always brought a smile to my face.
He has remained friends with both fh and I, through out all this-- he made it clear to me in the very beginning that although he did not agree with what fh had done, he would remain a friend.... because friends are with us through the bad and the good.
I respected him for doing that, and still do today.

This is a guy who has a job that takes him on the road a lot, But he still manages to call me weekly, if not twice weekly ... to make me laugh, or to help me through a bad day.... most of all he calls to check on apple and I and make sure we are ok.

His phone call was heart breaking. He is now in a situation similar to mine.
I watched my knuckles turn white when he told me, I felt the blood rush from my head, and had to sit myself down to take it all in.

When we hung up, I sobbed for him.
Knowing the pain and heartache he feels, knowing that things like this should not happen to people like us.
Knowing what it feels like to be told in that very simple way "I'm sorry I did not mean for this to happen, It just did.... You don't understand... I'm sorry"
Knowing every thought that races through your mind in the months to come are enough to make anyone crazy.
Knowing that you could ask 1000 questions, and you will never ever get the answer that you want.
Knowing that coming back from something like this can seem impossible.

Tonight when I said to him " I wonder why the good people get left behind?"
He replied.."Well if all the good people are getting left behind... I guess that means all the douche bags are up ahead-- and that's a good thing"

Something tells me he is going to be just fine.